Sunday, November 4, 2007

"not my job" = not my problem?

Getting saddled with things in organizations that I'm involved in that aren't necessarily part of my duties has been happening a lot lately and my response has been varied. Sometimes I am happy to help someone out, and at other times I want to scream "THAT'S NOT MY JOB!"

If I had more time tonight, I'd ponder all the reasons why I do and don't feel compelled to do other people's jobs, but it basically comes down to this: is someone else supposed to be responsible for this? If yes, why aren't they doing it? If it's because they are completely swamped and haven't been procrastinating, then I'm probably inclined to help. If not, then count me OUT, yo! Another stipulation I tend to add onto things is the amount of advance warning. If i've got less than 12 hours notice...it probably isn't happening.

The nature of the rapport I may have with the person requesting helps a lot too. If you really need help and I like you and you're asking me specifically for help, I'll do everything I can. If you're blaming the whole board or (worse yet) asking someone else to ask me FOR you, however, I don't feel badly turning you down.

The medium in which you approach me helps too. Don't fucking text message me. And don't send a text message that has directions for another person in it. Catch me in person or at a meeting (ie PLAN AHEAD) or PICK UP YOUR PHONE AND CALL ME. Especially if it's something you want me to do "right away"!!!!


I'm busy. You're busy. So don't act like I should be guilty for being busy, or like I MUST have time to do your work just because you don't have the time. I'm not taking studio but I do have numerous commitments!

Sigh. There are a lot of other reasons why I do and don't things and i realize that this rant makes me sound really bitchy and anal retentive but I do believe that there is a certain amount of ettiquite (aka RESPECT) that should be given in these situations...

No comments: