Sunday, August 26, 2007

Third Year is Starting

Things have been happening to quickly to blog about them. I could go on for quite some time about the slightly terrifying experience I had yesterday morning and afternoon, but I won't. I've spent the whole day creating a website for one of the campus orgs that I'm involved with, and now I'm not ready for class AT ALL. To top it all off nobody even cared if I got the site done by tonight's meeting, even though most of the people have been breathing down my neck about the whole thing for the past couple of weeks.

The meeting itself was, to be blunt, a major disappointment. I was assuming that with the 2 hours we set aside we'd generally plan out the next two months, or at least through September. Instead we signed up for classroom announcements (something that could have been done via e-mail), decided on having 2 events (one of which requires ANOTHER meeting to figure it all out), and sort of kind of decided that things would be happening every week on Thursday evenings. Last semester I had core and intern meetings almost every thursday, so I didn't make it to one event for this organization. I was assured that we'd be able to accomodate EVERYONE'S schedules, but I guess not.

I got the feeling that everyone was disgruntled because I have "other" things, but those things are very important to me, and I don't have a crucial role in this org, so I didn't see what the big deal was. I could probably be better at getting my stuff done on time, but when the head of the whole deal doesn't even have the VP's phone number in their cell phone, it's really difficult for me have a whole lot of faith in anyone's organizational/leadership skills.

To top it all off I have to show up to cut five pieces of cardstock on Tuesday. I don't really think it takes 9 people to do 50 sheets. I'm all for spreading work evenly, but there are more efficient ways to do it.

Another person on the board was also RIDICULOUS and I had to refrain from yelling and/or punching people, because nothing was getting done and all they were talking about were irrelevant things. I'm trying to get myself to just be more laid-back, but I have no freakin clue how to do that...I guess I expect a lot out of people that sign up for staff positions.

On top of all of my major frustration, which I won't go into right now, I realized that I need to find a job because I'm broke. I only want to work about 10 hours a week, and I want to make like $150 a week....yeah. that's not happening. Campus and service jobs just don't pay that kind of money; I could probably make that much at a design firm, but nobody wants to hire me for 10 hours a week unless I'm doing administrative assistant type stuff, and I don't think they make $15 an hour. I have no clue how I'm going to pay for this semester and for Italy, which is scary.

But I'm not going to think too much about it tonight, because I have to be at school at 8:50am. Gahhhhhhhhh...I'm not ready for this semester to start. I hope it all calms down by week 2.

No comments: