Friday, August 8, 2008

What DID I learn?

Traveling through Europe, I thought I learned a lot of things. One lesson: don't be so cautious. I generally tend to over-plan my travel (and other) plans. Assess the risks. Etc etc. Sometimes my analysis leaves me paralyzed because I have to make a decision before I've weighed both sides. Action, in this situation, rarely happens if it is risky.

But living in a different culture, traveling by myself in various countries that don't speak very much english...I learned that wherever I go, things will be ok. Maybe life can be lived outside of the nebulous box I've created for myself.

Now I'm back in my college world and I am quickly remembering why my boundaries exist. Giving into my own blind desires...going for WHAT I WANT and not thinking about the consequences...is finding me very lonely and not so happy. And I think it's terribly unfair.

So really I gotta ask myself sometimes...did I learn anything from my experience abroad? Have I truly grown as a person? On the whole, I think yes. But some days I really do wonder.

No comments: